Betty Weaver, one of our super-sweet Layout a Day (LOAD) 213 participants, had a BRILLIANT idea! While we’re creating a layout a day, why not create a card a day with the scraps and send it on to Operation Write Home?!
She’s so smart!
So, whether or not you are taking part in LOAD, I’d love to invite you to create a card or two (or 28!) to send off to a very worthy cause. Here are the general guidelines, as Betty explains it:
Now the quick overview: Operation Write Home provides quality handcrafted cards for deployed troops to send home so they can keep in touch.
Guidelines for creating your cards:
- NO GLITTER! – if it will rub off it could endanger our troops by making them visible to night vision glasses.
- A2 sized cards only and envelopes. Back of cards to include “OWH” – either stamped on or download the labels provided on the flyers page.
- Some dimension is ok.
- NO store bought cards.
- No handwritten sentiments – stamped or printed on your computer ok. (I often put no sentiment on so it can be used for any occasion)
- Themes – since we are doing this on the fly so to speak general topics would be a good thing as the shipping date is so far in advanced it’s sometimes hard to get into the season they need. KID and TEEN appropriate cards are always needed and LOVE (not Valentine’s) is good.
- If you use a dark color base please line with white as it is common that our troops only have pencil to write with.
- Packing slips (found on the flyers page) is required. And wouldn’t it be awesome if those participating noted it was from LOAD!
- Quality over quantity – these travel long distances both from the US and then back again. They are also often kept forever….
- Any “hero” cards are awesome as it lets the troops know we appreciate them. These are great for kids to make.
Hope you can create at least a card or two! Have you created a card for OWH before? If so, add any tips below!